Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Science and the n-Body SIM

I've seen and heard some inspirational things today about science. Firstly, listening to the CERN podcast whilst I was peddling away on my "bike to nowhere", Brian Cox suggested that a scientist is someone working at the limit of their knowledge. That makes all humble students scientists then. The goal whilst studying is to push those limits further and further back until we finally reach a frontier where we are no longer learning from others but setting the syllabus ourselves. I guess besides the ultimate goal of truly knowing something fundamental, aiming to be a giant upon which others stand would the pinnacle of a scientific career.

Whilst attending the MICA VW meeting this afternoon, I saw a Machinima of an OpenSim nBody simulation. The more I see of gravitational simulations in virtual worlds, the more I'm beginning to love and appreciate their beauty. I'm going to use my experience with M257 to play around with some Java applet versions. They will be limited but I won't let that stop me.  What better way to learn about them then by doing.

I register for S207 on Friday. A course buddy said the material despatch is on 22nd August! That means we will have nearly 2 months to get ahead with the reading. Is this an indication of the volume of work the course team expect you to get through? There is a course revision weekend in September I may attend. I'm in two minds at the moment. Attending the M208 tutorial tonight was really excellent. I understood a surprising proportion of the material and I'm not studying that course!

beagle modelWe have about 8 names on the list to do the models for the European  Space exploration project. I had a go at building a prototype Beagle 2 last night. It looks more like road kill! This may be harder then I thought.

1 comment:

Greg Withnail said...

I that model for real (as in Airfix, or toilet roll tubes and sticky-back-plastic) or is it CG? The pic is a bit too blurry to tell.