Sunday, August 10, 2008

Here comes the new plan

In about a months time I start a new course. This one is very very important to me as it marks the beginning really of the reason I started to study in the first place. Pretty much everything else has been preparation for this and the ones that follow. It has taken me nearly three years to get to this point. So you can imagine that I want to try and maximise the information and techniques I get from it. To this end, I started to put together a plan to help me achieve that.

One of the most important things will not only to be able to understand the content of the course but remember and apply it. For this, I need a good memory. I've noticed over the past year or so that I am finding it increasingly hard to remember things. I put this down to age. That's what happens as you get older right? To make sure this was the case I started to look into the memory and how I may be able to improve it. I got hold of a book by Tony Buzan and another by Dominic O'Brien (Learn to Remember). The Tony Buzan book details some interesting ways to visualise and Memorise "data". Oddly, these techniques are a large chunk of Dominic's book too. This seems to tell me that the techniques are pretty universal and, so far, they really do work.

Dominic talks about the brains need for Oxygen, time to consolidate and freedom from stress. To try and increase the Oxygen flow to my own brain and decrease stress I am going to start a better fitness regime and begin meditation again. Today, I'm thinking about what form that fitness regime will take and how I can fit it in to an already quite hectic schedule. That's going to be a feat in itself.

Lastly, In preparation for my course, I am going to give this blog a little more focus. I am going to try and use it to write mainly about my progress, how things are developing with the course and what I'm learning. I am going to keep writing about things outside that but that will be the main focus. I realised the importance of focus after reading several other blogs lately, not least of which was the one written by my cyber friend, Andy Males. I am also going to try and improve my writing style which, to date, has been pretty loose and undefinable.

1 comment:

Greg Withnail said...

If you're interested in the origins of these "universal" mnemonic systems, you could do a lot worse than read "The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci" by Jonathan Spence. Alternatively, you can get captivating glimpses of such a concept at work in the (albeit fictional) "Hannibal" by Thomas Harris.