Sunday, August 17, 2008

2008 London.

I try and get to the science museum at least once in a year. Today was 2008's trip. I had a good reason for going this time of course. Which reminds me. If you are an OU or Schomer, you can now read the new Schomebase Science blog at http://schomebasescience.blogspot.com/. Unfortunately, for this first posting, you'll get this one again. However, there will be a handful of contributors so you should get different perspectives on the topics we are covering.

I was actually quite surprised that the Science Museum wasn't as busy as it has been during the school summer break in previous years. A sign of the recession? OK , It's free to get in but a day on London for a visitor with travel and food can be quite an expensive outing.

16 The main purpose for my trip was to get  some detailed images of the Beagle exhibit for our build group. I felt quite upset that it was tucked away towards the back wall of the "exploring space" exhibition hall. You have to walk around the back to really see it properly. I was struck by some of the comments from some of the people who were looking at it. A few had no idea about what its purpose was. Comments like "It went to the moon"! The vast majority of people though seem to know that it was the lander "that they lost". It heartened me to hear that they didn't say this in any mocking sense.

So I got my images (several tens of pictures actually). And a few of other exhibits too. I was looking around to see if there were others that we could possibly tackle in the future. There really wasn't. They had one launcher as far as I could see but they did have contributions from UK establishments for NASA funded missions. Which reminds me - Where was the Huygens probe??? Not even Cassini. They need to update there exhibits I think. So, they had the SpaceLab 2 X-ray mask telescope which was built at the University of Birmingham.  It was designed to make a map of X-ray sources as they where detected through a mask (picture opposite). It mapped the x-ray sources at the centre of our galaxy. It even detected what was considered a micro quaser (an object that emits very high energy x-rays).

patrick Couple of other things worthy of note. They now have a gallery for the history of science on film (OU, where are you)? I watched a movie from the 50's in which the Astronomer Royal (who's name escapes me), expressed his opinion on Manned space flight. He said it wouldn't happen for hundreds of years! a mere 10 to 15 years later, Russia put a man in space. In the same film, a very young and less eccentric Patrick Moore. An exhibit that is Science Art is the "Listening Post". IT takes real time snippets of chat from the Internet and displays them in a large bank of little displays and also converts the test to speech. it's quite hard to explain so you can look at a video of the exhibit here (youtube). I sat in front of it for nearly an hour. It was a very odd but strangely calming experience. You have to try it for yourself if you find yourself there.

No comments: