Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Society love Goldilocks


Nobodys perfect! But unfortunately, society will no longer tolerate it. A year ago, the press was full of storys about people wanting to lose too much weight and be very thin, under nourished, pale and interesting (in my humble opinion). The glossy magazines took the blame and everyone was told "you must all put on weight". Now, everyone is talking about the obesity problem not just in the UK but worldwide. Everyone is getting bigger and you have to cut down to half a carrot and a stick of celery or you'll die screaming. P.l.e.a.s.e! Let people just be happy. OK - There is a need to make sure that your body is in shape and healthy but we can't all look the same - It would be BORING!


Today, listening to talk radio, they where asking if an obese child should be taken away from it's parents and likening it to child abuse. Way to go and make every parent of an overweight child, even if they have struggled to keep the weight off, guilty at every turn. My daughter is carrying some weight. We try very hard to eat healthily. plenty of Fruit and Veg. Small portions. Loads of water. No added salt or sugar (not even on Cereals) etc... but occassionally, you do have to let your hair down and have a night out and a little self indulgence. But boy, do I feel guilty these days when I m sitting in a restaurant with my Daughter and she chooses something off the menu that isn't all that great for her (Like a cheese pasta or creamy desert for example). I can feel all these judgemental eyes boring into me. It doesn't matter that we eat properly the rest of the time. Society doesn't care! THIS time, we aren't and you're gonna pay tenfold in guilt. OK - I'm yet to have someone point at me and shout "abuser", but in my mind, it's only a matter of time!

Anyway - For society to love you these days, you have to be :

Straight
Medium Height
Medium build
Average intelligence
Have hair (or have hair but deliberately remove it)
All your facial features in the right propoertions
2 arms
2 legs

in other words - Just right! Personally, I blow a raspberry in societys face. I like people to be different and varied. Bring on the clones? not bloody likely.




No comments: