Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Facebook. Are you a fan?

Alison Bell on LBC radio is chatting about Facebook and it's merits. I've always been happy with ways of keeping in touch online as it carrys some anonymity. Most of the press that anonymity online gets is bad. People grooming kids etc but in some cases it can be a good thing. For example, in cases where vunrable people want support from those in the same position. One area which was fantastic for me when I was going through my transition, was being able to chat online to those who had already overcome the issues I was facing. At that time, Facebook, Myspace and Bebo etc, did not exist, but instant messaging programs like MSN messenger and it's associated chat facilities, Geocities and Yahoo chat where all great places to meet people in the same position. I made some good friends. I used Friends reunited too and a few people I had lost touch with who had heard of my changes managed/wanted to get back in touch with me and that was very encouraging. However, it is very important, even if you have no reason to want to stay anonymous, to make sure you don't give too much about your personal circumstance away. Just that little extra piece of information can make identity theft easier for those involved in it. So, like real life, just take care online and keep your eyes open and be aware, people aren't always what they seem.

Click here for my Facebook page (you will have to log in to see it).

No comments: