Thursday, June 28, 2007

Ohhhh the stra-a-a-i-innn


I read somewhere recently (I think it was some study material associated with my OU course), that you can only concentrate properly on something for about 1 hour. I think the advice should be something like "you can only concentrate on something you aren't interested in for less then 1 hour". I find I can lose time in an activity that totally absorbs me. I'm sure many people are the same. When was the last time you forgot about the time because you where absorbed in a book or film or doing something creative. Watching football, fishing? being drunk doesn't count before you ask. I used to be able to lose days through being drunk but I don't think I was concentrating on anything in particular except perhaps trying not to throw-up.


So this leads me to think about the viability of an employer holding your attention for 7 hours (minimum) a day. Is this really possible? (rhetorical queston obviously). But then, how many individual tasks do you undertake that last a whole day? Probably not many. Perhaps an hour here doing one thing, then an hour there doing something else. Today, I have spent about 8.5 hours on one task. I think I deserve a raise. And I am working from home so the need to "pretend" I'm busy just doesn't arise. I have to say this is quite unusual because my day usually consists of several discreet tasks all lasting about 45 mins maximum each. I defy many to prove they carry out a task, that requires a high level of concentration, for longer then this period.


Proud of myself :-) So my unlimited Cinema pass is gonna get an outing.......



No comments: