Saturday, June 23, 2007

Motivation? can't be asked.....


I'm having a real problem getting motivated today. I'm currently studying with the Open University (which has some fantastic distance learning courses). I've just completed one course (maths) and I'm halfway (well, probably over half way now), through an Astronomy course. Most of the courses I've done so far have been completed on the basis of assignments only but this one has an examination. I have't done an exam since I was at school many many many years ago and this in itself is scaring me. In addition, I'm finding that I am having really terrible trouble retaining all the stuff I need from the course. As I feel I'm stating to get behind with the text too I'm starting to question both my ability and my motivation for putting myself through it when I'm unlikely, at my age, to make any contribution in either subject. Ok, so I get some really good skills on the way which are transferable to many aspects of life. If thats the only motivation for doing it, then perhaps I should take a course on "general skils" or just get back to reading (which I haven't done for as long as I can remember). So, right now, I'm quite depressed about the prospect of having to go through another 300 or so pages, 2 assignments and 1 exam in the next 2 months. It almost seems undo-able. BUT, if I have that attitude, then perhaps I have nothing to lose. keep on plodding on in my own time and see what happens. I think perhaps it might just be this weekend and the desperate need for a break after studying pretty much every free weekend for the past 2 1/2 years. So anyway, think I'll take a nap and see how I feel after that :-)
So, Distance learning - Friend or Foe? I would take my hat off, If I wore one, to the OU in that they do have excellent support for students. They run plenty of sessions where you can get together and work in groups for real or online. You also get good tutor support too. None of it seems to help when your motivation is low and you feel like you just aren't up to scratch in the skills required to make it a success. One drawback to some of the online groups is that it makes me feel even more stupid sometimes, but at least I get to ask the stooopid questions without having to hear the sniggers or show my embarrasment at showing I don't know something I should!
Ho Hum.....


No comments: