Friday, December 14, 2007

The week that was!

Another busy busy week comes to an end but the Fun doesn't stop there. Working the way I do, the boundarys between the "working" week and the weekend seem to blur. I think this is something more and more people are going to find as the drive for a greener community pushes forward. No longer will most of us be bound to a desk in a building. The days of managers needing "bums-on-seats-luvvy" will soon be gone. Instead, your 9 to 5 existance will be replaced with target led performance contract. And this is how it sortof works for me now. I agree my targets with my manager. They are realistic with some time factored in for those unexpected occurances that inevitably happen. It works well and allows me the flexibility to do the other things I need to do and work the hours that suit me. One proviso is that I'm available when an urgent issue comes up. This is a small price to pay.

So, work work has been very busy this week. Isn't it funny how everyone seems to see Christmas as a deadline. Non-work things done include the usual level of study and some more updates to the OUSA-NHL website (www.ousa-nhl.org). We are getting a reasonable number of hits considering it has only been in existance for about 6 days. I'm doing what I can to make sure we have relevant information for local OU students. It's a lot harder and much more time consuming then I anticipated but I'm quite emjoying. There has been a little feedback but generally, I'm working on what I would like to see a local and mature student.

I've taken a couple of calls this week from local people about issues they are passionate about. Although all I can do is pass on thier details, I would love to try and make sure these issues are really looked at. I know how it feels to be on the end of a telephone and feel that you are getting nowhere. Anyone in that position can rest assured that if you keep at it for long enough and stamp your feet as much as possible, someone will eventually listen.

No comments: